Car accidents can result in serious injuries and harm to victims. There are some common causes of car accidents and legal protections available to help car accident victims through the aftermath of a car accident.
There are several common causes of car accidents including:
- Distracted driving – distracted driving is a leading cause of car accidents. It is important for drivers not to talk on cells phones while driving or text, eat, read, groom or engage in other forms of distracted driving.
- Drunk or drugged driving – drunk driving is deadly and can cause car accidents that can cost victims their lives. Drivers should always refrain from drunk driving.
- Speeding and reckless driving – speeding is the second most common cause of car accidents. Drivers should stick to posted speed limits. Reckless driving can lead to car accidents which is why drivers should avoid aggressive driving, changing lanes too quickly and speeding.
- Rain and night driving – rain can cause roads to be slippery and treacherous and driving at night can reduce visibility which is why drivers need to adjust to weather and roadway conditions.
- Tailgating and running red lights – tailgating does not allow the driver appropriate time to stop if necessary so it should be avoided and running red lights can, of course, lead to serious car accidents.
- Construction zones – serious car accidents can take place in construction zones which is it is important for drivers to slow down and exercise extra caution and care in construction zones.
Victims of negligent drivers have personal injury legal protections available that can help address the damages they have suffered at the hands of a negligent driver. Car accident victims should be familiar with these legal protections if they have been involved in a car accident.